Friday, September 17, 2010

Goodbye to Breakfast

Goodbye to Breakfast,
To lovely warm bread crust,
To coffee enjoyed to the dregs;

Adiós a muchas cosas,
Aux terrines et mimosas,
And, of all nationalities, eggs.

Oh, eggs! Poached and boiled,
Coddled, baked, fried, and oiled,
Universal, sustaining, and quick;

Slow enough, though, to savor,
I recall with a quaver.
With slight sorrow, my lips do I lick...

My brief moment of mourning
For the meal of the morning
Now displaced by a need to sleep in.
I can hardly believe it, but I've officially started film school. The thought incites an...odd feeling, to say the least. After years of going to school to fiddle with equations and prove theorems and derive universally correct explanations for things, I now spend my days playing with cameras and making up stories and searching for my very own, very original narrative voice.

That last part's gonna keep me busy for a while. It hasn't even been a full school week, but I can foresee warm, gloriously lazy sit-down breakfasts becoming a thing of the past. Photographing food in natural daylight, too -- I haven't even been home to cook while the sun is up, and, in fact, was so tired after our later evening classes that I ate cereal for dinner a couple times this week.

And you know what? I don't mind one bit. It's true, I love cereal with all my heart...but this? This maddening whorl of art and technology and awesomely eccentric professors and ten-minute catnaps and fellow students who'll soon be so close and warnings about time commitments and tongue-in-cheek advice about saying goodbye to friends and loved ones every which way? I love it so much more.

Nonetheless, I resolve to find ways to stay in touch with the world outside film. I want to make films about that world -- for people in that world -- and I'm not sure it's possible to do that honestly if I become too far removed from it. I might be giving up an awful lot of stuff in the next four years. One of those things will surely be cooking and posting as regularly as I was this summer. But consider this an embracement of change, an eager statement of intent, and an homage to the breakfast days of yore.


Chilly Edamame Eggs
chilly as in chill and relaxed -- not, you know, cold

Ingredients
  • 3 free-range egg whites
  • 1/8 cup shelled edamame
  • 4-5 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
  • 1/2 tsp soy sauce
  • cracked black pepper, to taste
  • a dash chili oil
  • olive oil

Directions

Beat the soy sauce and pepper into the egg whites.

Mix the chili oil with just enough olive oil to cover a frying pan.  Heat on medium-low.  Pour the egg whites in and, as they cook, push the cooked edges towards the middle of the pan with a spatula.  Wait until the bottom side is halfway cooked (1-2 minutes), and sprinkle the edamame and tomatoes on top.

Wait another 30 seconds or so, flip, and cook the other side over medium heat (I like the variety in texture the fried crispiness provides...keep your flame on low if you'd prefer softer eggs) for 1-2 minutes.  Consume at a leisurely pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment