Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Spirulina

It might taste like grass
But all children will eat it
If it is bright green.
I'm back in the States!  Getting over the jet lag was easy, but getting through the thousands of e-mails that have accumulated in my inbox since I stopped having regular internet access is less so.  So I'll put them off a little bit longer by writing a little bit about green stuff.

Green means spring -- and in my last days on the farm, I got to see winter give way to spring with my own two eyes.  Flowers blooming, new seedlings in the garden, baby goats being born...the whole shebang.  And as much as the idea of spring gets tired out always attaching itself to things like budding flora and clean rebirths, every moment of my country spring filled me with absurdly naive, wide-eyed wonder.  Baby goats will do that to you.

Also, green means new!  And in a time when I'm feeling slightly-to-very nostalgic about everything -- leaving engineering, leaving New York, leaving Australia -- I could use a reminder that I'll be embarking on new adventures soon enough.  My "first day of school" is in four days!  So many new things to learn and old friends to meet...no matter how many first days of school I've had (a lot), they always make me feel a bit like a giddy little kid.

And so, I present this healthsome not-just-for-springtime smoothie that giddy little kids love -- because come on, it's bright freaking green.


Green Smoothie
another one from the Tribe of Asher

Ingredients
  • 1.5 frozen bananas
  • flesh from 1 avocado
  • 1 cup multivitamin juice (or any juice, really)
  • 1 tbsp spirulina

Directions

Blend all ingredients together.  Soak up the healthiness.  (Makes 1-2 servings.)


No comments:

Post a Comment