Friday, October 29, 2010

Taking Both Sides


My craving for breakfast food's often confused and eclectiC
Until I am grasped by the impulse for baking with guilE.
For I have been known to just waver in every which manneR,
Found scratching my head in the baked-goods-and-cereal aislE.
I've found a solution to settle this awkward dilemmA--
Now, cereal muffins -- the product of error and triaL!

I shot my film this past weekend!  I had an incredible crew of talented, dedicated fellow filmmakers who really worked as hard as they could to make our shoot a success.  There's no baked good in the world that could possibly thank them enough, but I wanted to bake them something awesome anyway.

Since I started planning this film, I've gone through twelve boxes of cereal and seven boxes of cereal bars...apparently, pre-production really chips away at my self-control.  I thought it'd be appropriate, though, to thank my crew with a riff on the Special K Cereal Bars that were my most recent comfort food.


I almost did homemade cereal bars, but you can't really give someone a cereal bar as a token of your gratitude.  ...But what about a cereal bar masquerading as a muffin?

I found a recipe on Dine and Dish for cereal muffins, and after tweaking it a little for more breakfast-bar crunch and thank-you-treat sweetness, I had my cereal-bar muffin down.  Despite its resemblance to a cupcake, this muffin is pretty healthy, and it's easy enough to make before breakfast (or after a weekend of film shoots).

Anyway.  Thanks, amazing friends who helped on this shoot!  And thanks to the friend who lent me his fancy DSLR for production stills (and later, pictures of muffins)...he didn't get a muffin, but he should've, because I'm not sure I can go back to taking food photos with my glitchy little point-and-shoot after this.


Cereal Bar Muffins
heavily adapted from Dine and Dish

Ingredients

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease 8 muffin cups.

In a medium-sized bowl, beat egg, and whisk with oil, milk, and honey.  (A hand mixer will help with the sticky nature of the organic honey.)

Add the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, and cereal.


Mix until flour is moist.


Pour batter into muffin cups.  Fill each cup about 3/4 full.


Top each cup with 1 tsp Praline Crunch.


Bake for about 22 minutes, until edges are cereal-bar crispy and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.


Distribute to amazing people. (Serves 8.)

2 comments:

  1. these are gross! sorry :( I did everything you said and all it tasted like was baking soda. uh gross!! have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sorry, Kat! That's not the greatest thing to read in comments, but I do feel badly that they didn't turn out well for you.

    This recipe uses 3 tsp baking soda, whereas the original calls for 3 tsp baking powder. Baking soda and baking powder can't be substituted for one another; however, because its lack of acidity keeps the cereal-bar quality of these muffins from becoming too cakelike, I went for baking soda. In the few times I've made this particular recipe, I didn't find that the flavor was impacted negatively. That said, you may have a more sensitive palate than mine, and baking soda can make things taste overly bitter. If you ever want to try these again, I'd suggest just using baking powder, which is used in most cake and muffin recipes.

    ReplyDelete