Friday, December 31, 2010

Mashup

What I need today is to cook something weird--
Something nice but eclectic to eat.
True, peculiar food might not taste like James Beard,
But creation is lovely and 1337.

I've not yet tried using the oven or grill
To make versatility [that] I savor,
But the trick's in the mix, and my magic chef's skills
Mix my favorite things for awesome flavor.

We can all agree, now, that no matter the food--
Yes, no matter the perfect invention--
No matter if it's downright purple-hued,
We should try it without apprehension.

For it's dashing clear lines, I can only conclude,
That makes smiles a foregone conclusion.
So I'll root for discov'ring new mashups of food...
I want you to try cooking some fusion!
Inspired by DJ Earworm's annual end-of-the-year pop mashup, I made this poem out of pieces of all the other ones I've written this year.  A fusion poem!

Traditionally, the end of the year is about evaluating the changes in one's life.  Successes and failures, triumphs and regressions, stuff like that.  As such, I feel I have to admit something to you, dear reader, and it's this -- I've fallen off the wagon about a zillion times this year.


My most recent swan dive off the proverbial wagon was brought to my attention by my friend Louise, who reminded me I have a food blog by asking for some recipes from it.  She then sorted, compiled, and sent out a way-awesome collection of recipes by and for her friends and family.  (Thanks, Louise!)  But the subject of her e-mail said "HOLIDAY RECIPES," and I thought about it for a moment, and that's when I realized I probably should've posted a few more recipes this month.  OOPS.

Oh, and another thing -- I've been eating like a crazy person.  I know I said I was going back to normal in November, but now that I'm looking back, I see that film school pretty much shoved me off the wagon and watched, cackling, as I convinced myself I could eat like I was still playing water polo and finely-tuned a midnight-snacking habit.  But today, I did a little objective evaluating and concluded that, compared to pre-film school me, I weigh 10% more and play polo 100% less.  ...OOPS.


The objective evaluating was supplemented by this workout/food/drink log I've been keeping, a look at which is fascinating and definitely fodder for a future post.  But in this post, let me just apologize humbly and hope you had a happy run of holidays.  I can blame film school for my fat, and I can preemptively blame it for a sparseness of posts during winter quarter (intense production season...don't say I didn't warn you).  But this?  This was just me making winter break a break from everything.

Please accept my apology in the form of this Japanese-inspired salad.  It's fun, unique, and exciting, just like I want all my posts to be.  It's a clean, light, healthy appetizer.  A fresh start, if you will.*

*Oh, you won't?  That's too bad, because if you think I'm gonna cool it with the dumb wordplay just because we're starting a new year...you're very, very wrong.


East-Meets-West Salad

Ingredients
  • 3 oz enoki mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup edamame
  • 1/2 small orange heirloom tomato
  • 1/2 small yellow heirloom tomato
  • 1/8 cup peas
  • 2 orange slices
  • 1/2 tsp olive oil
  • 1-2 tsp soy sauce
  • 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tsp Nori Komi Furikake

Directions

Slice the heirloom tomatoes about 1/4-inch thick.


Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat.  Add the enoki musrooms, edamame, and soy sauce, and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.  Stir in the juice from one orange slice, setting the other aside for garnish.


Plate and sprinkle with Nori Komi Furikake.

Arrange the heirloom tomatoes in alternating colors around the mushrooms.  Drizzle with balsamic vinegar, and sprinkle with peas.

No comments:

Post a Comment