Saturday, January 22, 2011

Potluck


What's that, you're hosting dinner?  Yay!
I'll bring fruit salad.  Is that cool?
Oh, no?  Someone called dibs on that?
That's fine, I'll bring a mixed cheese tray.
Aw man, that's taken too?  Okay.
I can't have dairy anyway.
Well, how 'bout drinks?  Dessert?  Come on!
How many friends did you invite?
And why was I the last to know?
This feels a little like a slight.
Hey now, come on, I only kid.
This'll be fun -- can't wait to go!
So maybe I'll bring cups and plates?
They're always good to have, although
Environmentally, foam's bad,
And paper just disintegrates...
Scratch that, I'll just bring chips and guac.
That's safe, and something no one hates.
Wait, what'd you say?  I can't bring chips?
I guess you've got those.  What a shock.
You don't?  Well what, then?  What's the deal?
Uh huh, um, but -- no, you can talk.
I see...you don't know who I am.
I saw your invite, though, for real!
I'd just assumed -- well, Facebook said--
All righty then, enjoy your meal.
Every time I've been to a potluck in recent memory, I've ended up bringing a variation on cooked carbs mixed with veggies, proteins, and random things found in my pantry.  It's not that I don't want to switch it up every now and then.  It's just that I never know how much each person's gonna eat, and bringing interesting food that can be scooped from a single bowl is a challenge unto itself.


My production group just had a potluck to kick off our teamwork this quarter.*  As per usual, I didn't have time to shop for ingredients.  So I promised a "vegetarian dish -- details TBA," threw a bunch of stuff in a pan at the last minute, and got this.


It's delicious!!  I'm supposed to be waking up in four hours for a tournament, so no time for details, but trust me.  This thing is the bomb dot com.  It's excitingly fried-rice-like, refreshingly salad-like, and so, so easy to prepare.  Happy potlucking!

*I was invited, I swear.


Healthy Veggie Potluck Delight

Ingredients
  • 1 cup cooked brown rice
  • 1 cup cooked barley
  • 1 cup cooked quinoa
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 large cucumber
  • 1 avocado
  • 1 cup cherry tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup cashews
  • 2 tbsp sesame seeds
  • 3 tbsp brown sugar
  • 3 tbsp soy sauce
  • 3 tbsp olive oil

Directions

Mince the garlic, dice the cucumber and avocado, and cut the cherry tomatoes into quarters.


Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat.  Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.

In the meantime, mix the brown rice, barley, and quinoa together (I cooked them all together in a rice cooker, so they were already mixed).  Mix the brown sugar and sesame seeds with the soy sauce.


Add the grain mixture to the pan, pour over the soy sauce mixture, and turn the heat up.  Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.


When the grains have cooked to your satisfaction (I like them a little bit crispy), add the cucumber, avocado, cherry tomatoes, and cashews.  Mix and serve.  (Makes about 2 quarts -- perfect for potlucks.)


No comments:

Post a Comment