Thursday, March 10, 2011

Wrap Rap


after "Drug Ballad" by Eminem

Back when doin' schoolwork meant problem sets,
This is how I used to eat (no regrets).
I used to pair baked with some steamed goods; "Let's
Just stick to fair trade at luncheonettes."
And snacks were rare -- plates would fill with balanced meals
(And if you care, weighed, my pounds were 'round ideal).
It'd take an air raid to pound my even keel....
I conceive good food until I start conceivin' reels.
Then, Tupperware's greasy;
It ain't easy to cease increasin' the piece of my patiss--
Are we to police
All our control 'til we roll, film shoots nutrition parole?
I can now tell production's taken its toll.
The whole trio's my feast -- Cheetos, Fritos, Doritos;
It's a feat to be so replete with trans fats and sweets.
Crawl out the trap as I snap the lens cap,
Stop eating crap, and conclude, "That's a wrap."
Hello, old friend!  Sorry I've been gone so long.  I never could've anticipated how uniquely stressful and utterly time-consuming the past month would be for me.

I spent February cooking little and sleeping even less.  I forgot about days off, forgot about the whole wide world outside this tiny little corner, and, if it's not too corny to say, chased magic hours in the least magical way possible.  I lost a loved one for the first time in my life, but had no time to grieve properly.  I pushed on, sometimes sick and often miserable, missed a million distant things, and thought, If I can just remember how pretty the sky looks right before sundown....

At times like this, it's difficult to muster the creative energy to write a good food poem.  It's difficult, in fact, to muster the energy to delight in food and art at all.  But here's a short post to assure you that Poems About Food isn't gone for good -- despite the unannounced hiatus, it'll get back on its feet and keep on going, and so will I.


Super-Quick Snack Wrap

Ingredients
  • 1 spinach tortilla
  • 1 tbsp roasted garlic hummus
  • 1 tbsp organic peanut butter
  • 1 stalk celery
  • 1/4 avocado
  • 1/4 apple

Directions

This one's very self-explanatory -- it's all about simplicity and freshness.

Julienne the celery, and cut the avocado and apple into thin slices.


Lay the tortilla on a plate, and cover it with hummus.


Spread the peanut butter over the hummus.


Place the celery strips in a row in the middle of the tortilla.


Lay the avocado slices on top of the celery strips.


You guessed it -- lay the apple slices on top of the avocado slices.


Fold up one end and roll into a wrap.  That's it!

No comments:

Post a Comment