Thursday, April 28, 2011

Salad Ballad

O, here's a ballad on a salad from my memory.
Though on the face, 'twas not the case my meal was odd at all,
The fact endures -- my take and yours'll hereupon agree--
That leafy lunch was such a bunch of strangeness, great and small.

So hearken, guys, just close your eyes and conjure up a bowl,
A lovely bowl that's mostly full of vegetables galore--
Fresh carrots chopped and aptly dropped atop clean, crunchy slaw;
Tomatoes, too, of every hue, and easy to adore.

But as we sneak a second peek, we'll get a sudden sense
Unusual acts have come to pass throughout our salad's youth
That actuate a current state of novel countenance...
A countenance that makes no sense -- and that's the honest truth.

For every trace of green's effaced -- yes, every leaf erased--
No kelly pea, however wee; no moss, chartreuse, or jade;
No forest herb or cucumber; no sage or celery…
Yet all that's left post-em'rald theft seems colorfully arrayed.

Red cabbage tossed and gladly lost up dreamy streams of sauce;
Tomatoes, small and sweet and all but dyed ruby and gold;
And carrots, made a lovely shade by beta-carotene--
Resplendent, though my story's no Best Legend Ever Told.

For stranger themes have happened around poetry and food;
The salad turn was subtler, naught markedly afoul.
What type of salad has no green?  What person notes such facts?
The same one who can't overlook the absence of a vowel.
Well…my camera broke.

So I've been cooking a fair amount of interesting things, but with no way to share them with you.  But that's okay, because now I have an excuse to go back and post about interesting things I had no time to write about last quarter!

It's amazing the difference a day off can make.  I'm probably just as busy as I was last month, but now, I've got weekends.  Weekends.  Oh man, how I've missed them.  And after working seven days a week for ten weeks straight, I'll never, ever take them for granted.



My friends at the commune last summer were flabbergasted that the film industry didn't always afford days of rest.  They asked, "Not even one day a week?  When will you see your family?"  I had an inkling it'd be difficult, but I also kind of thought I'd been working seven days a week for many years.  It turns out a sleepless weekend of problem sets and programming projects is still infinitely less stressful than no weekend at all.


That's because weekends -- even working ones -- brighten, break, and spice things up.  The absence of weekends sucks.  But sometimes, with food, the absence of standard ingredients (like, say, greens in a salad) doesn't suck.  Not one bit.  On the contrary, it brightens, breaks, and spices things up!


Greenless Greens

Ingredients
  • 1/2 head red cabbage
  • 2 large carrots
  • 1/2 cup red grape tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup yellow cherry tomatoes
  • 1/2 red onion
  • 1/3 cup vinegar
  • 1/3 cup pickle juice
  • 6 tbsp sugar
  • 2 tsp salt

Directions

In a small bowl, combine vinegar, pickle juice, sugar, and salt.  Thinly slice the red onion, and let marinate for several hours in the fridge.

Roughly chop the red cabbage.


Use a peeler to make thin ribbons out of one carrot; chop the other into bite-sized pieces.


Toss in a large bowl.


Halve the grape and cherry tomatoes.  Add to the bowl.


Top off with the marinated onions, juice and all.


Toss well and serve!  (Serves 4-6.)

6 comments:

  1. This looks so very fresh and tasty. Incredible pictures. How did you light the fork pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how this would get me out a little salad rut. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I took the fork photos outside in indirect sunlight; no special lighting kit necessary :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phew this is soo gorgeous! I fully thought there would be flowers in it or something :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos. The forkful of salad reminds me of a Bird of Paradise flower or a fascinator for the races.

    ReplyDelete