Sunday, September 30, 2012

Morning Ritual

My name is Dexter Morgan
And I have many talents.
At strangling, I am able;
At stabbing, I am gallant.
I've a shady moral compass
But I try to keep it real
Starting, first and foremost,
With the most important meal.

In my chic Miami kitchen
After my morning shave,
I make a killer breakfast
You'd be stupid not to crave.

I fry up slabs of ham steak
In my trusty Teflon pan
And I eat 'em up right then and there
Because I am the man.
I follow that with one fried egg
(Sunny-side-up, most days)
Topped off with tasty hot sauce
Or red pepper hollandaise.

No day of mine can ever start
Without a cup of joe.
I can't live without my French press--
It makes richer brews, you know.
After all that, I treat myself
To fresh-squeezed blood OJ.
It's full of antioxidants
And keeps the doc away.

With that, I'm set to seize the day--
Yes, seize and grab and trap!
I neatly stash my leftovers
In heavy saran wrap.

My name is Dexter Morgan
And I have many talents.
At frying, I am able;
At juicing, I am gallant.
I put on my shoes and then my shirt
And step out every morning
Knowing I'm a damn good chef
With knife skills, too -- fair warning.

Dexter is back!  And so am I.

I've cooked dozens of things I wish I'd had the time to post in the past few months.  Seeing as I'm not going to get any less busy, I'm just going to start writing posts that are short and sweet.  Like this recipe, which takes practically no time to make, but produces startlingly delicious results.

 

Dark Passenger Breakfast Pots de Crรจme
adapted from The Pioneer Woman

Ingredients
  • 1 cup dark chocolate chips
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup hot, strong coffee (French-pressed?)
  • 1/4 cup blood orange juice
  • zest from 2-3 blood oranges
  • dash of salt
  • thinly sliced blood orange, for garnish

 

Directions

Put the chocolate chips, egg, blood OJ, zest, and salt into a blender.

 

Pulse for a few seconds, until the chocolate chunks are pretty small.

Pour the hot coffee through the lid while blending, until combined and smooth.


Pour the mixture into pretty cups and refrigerate for a couple hours, until set.

Garnish with thinly sliced blood orange.  (Serves 3-4.)

5 comments:

  1. Um, this might be the best poem ever. I love Dexter too and last night's episode was too good! Thanks for sharing, this is hysterical and awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sweet! Thanks!! I don't know what I'm going to do with myself until next week's episode comes out. Eat lots of fancy French dessert pudding, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lili - Thanks for recommending a pan with Teflon® nonstick coating in your Morning Ritual. I represent DuPont and it's always a pleasure to see people recommending our products.

    If you are interested in some recipes to look at for your cookware with Teflon® nonstick coatings, visit http://www.scribd.com/TeflonBrand! Thanks. Cheers, Sara

    ReplyDelete