Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving

I'm thankful for hope and audacity,
The human condition's tenacity.
My friends, I adore,
But then, even more,
I treasure my stomach's capacity.
This morning, when my family was still quiet and sleeping, I experienced the rare circumstance of needing-to-express-my-feelings-on-Facebook:


I know, I know, no one likes a sentimental food blogger.  But that's really how I feel, and I want you to know that I really hope your Thanksgiving's full of happiness, loved ones, and yes, oodles and oodles of food.

 

Crustless Thanksgiving Fruit Pie

Ingredients
  • 2 cups canned pumpkin
  • 1 cup soy milk
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp allspice
  • 1/4 tsp ginger
  • 1/4 tsp cloves
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 large apple
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar


Directions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Scoop the pumpkin into a large bowl.


In another bowl, mix the granulated sugar, spices, and salt.


Beat the eggs in a small bowl.


Add the spice mixture and eggs to the pumpkin puree and mix well.
 
 


Pour in the soy milk and stir again, until evenly combined.
 
 

 

Pour into a baking dish and bake for 10 minutes.


Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 20 more minutes.

In the meantime, peel and dice the apple into small pieces.


Put the diced apple, cranberries, walnuts, and brown sugar in a bowl.

 

 

Stir until everything is coated with brown sugar.


Remove baking dish from oven, distribute apple topping evenly on top, and place in oven for about 10 more minutes, until warm and fragrant.

 

 

Serves about 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment